Observing an Invitation to Act
Let us approach the labor with a calm, quiet, observation. We observe the response to contractions. When observing signs of a disconnection to labor because of pain or low morale or a struggles to self regulate as an invitation to act, we may introduce a gentle suggestion for a technique.
There are ways to introduce a technique that compliments instinct and inner knowing. This is essential to build trust and empowerment.
A Body Sense Invitation
Our advisor, Birth Psychotherapist, and DONA International Founder, Phyllis Klaus recommends an invitation that includes a sense of one’s own body.
Pictured: Spinning Babies® Approved Trainer, Tammy Ryan (left) with Phyllis Klaus, Spinning Babies Advisor, Psychotherapist, Founder of DONA International and P.A.T.C.H. and Spinning Babies supporter, Christina McBride (back to us). Tammy Ryan is an Approved Educator of When Survivors Give Birth (WSGB) – she presented the workshop with Phyllis Klaus, creator of WSGB, to providers in Palo Alto, California.
Both the “inviter,” the birth worker, for instance, feels their body and invites the birth giver to feel their body.
- I observe this happening _____(describe observation, not definition or diagnoses).
- When I feel in my body what I see in yours, I wonder if you yourself know what would work for you to make room for the baby?
- If yes, ask “Would you like to try it?” Facilitate their inner solution in a way that maintains their hormonal peace and dignity.
- If no, go to the next sentence in this process.
- May I suggest something due to what I am seeing? I’m wondering if we made room for baby in this way, ______ (describe your suggestion). You can stay in your labor land and we’ll help your body move into position between contractions…
Spinning Babies as an Invitation (Not an Intervention)
Share the love of Spinning Babies® with your client in your hands-on work with them. Each person decides for themselves whether or not they want to try a technique. You will be able to explain things best when your own physiology isn’t nervous about their potential refusal, or the pressures of plans. Their birth partner and yourself can be involved by creating a loving intent so the exercises are not a thing to do but rather a state of calm to experience. In pregnancy, the value of gaining a full range of motion and supple muscles is beneficial for comfort immediately and for easing birth later. We offer a free listing of activities online and the very popular Daily Essentials video for you to recommend. You can also become an affiliate (email email@example.com).
Help your pregnant people develop a relationship with activities in pregnancy with a good deal of joy and humor. Daily use often makes these techniques either unnecessary or easier to do once labor is underway. A home visit with a loving session of SLR and FLI may be just the answer! You can teach your parents how to do these in one-on-one sessions.
Inviting Ease in Birth With Spinning Babies
- (Taking a deep breath myself, I release the breath, and watch for a moment between contractions. My pacing is calming, but also reflects the pacing of the Birth Giver.) “You’re doing everything that people do to birth their babies. I observe the doctor says the baby is engaged, but has yet to rotate.”
- “When I feel in my body what I see in yours, I’m wondering if you yourself know what would work for you to make room for the baby?
- If yes, ask Would you like to try it? Facilitate their inner solution in a way that maintains their hormonal peace and dignity.
- If no, go to the next sentence in this process.
- May I suggest Sidelying Release, due to what I am observing. Spinning Babies promotes the Sidelying Release for this situation. You can stay in your labor land and we’ll help your body move into position between contractions… You can lie down while your leg gently hangs in a way that makes room for the baby.
Situations for Sidelying Release are:
- Sharp or intense pain when baby comes on to the pelvic floor
- Deep Transverse Arrest
- Asynclitism (Baby’s head is tipped)
- Pain in pelvis in addition to contractions
- Posterior presentation
- To help other breech balancing techniques work in pregnancy or as labor begins for a vaginal breech birth
- Before Manual Rotation of the baby
Details About the Ethical Teaching of Spinning Babies® to Clients
Details in how you present your Spinning Babies® skills is important to us. Please know that to say you are teaching or providing Spinning Babies as a service to clients or students, you need a license to use our brand by having a written contract with Spinning Babies. See how to teach Spinning Babies on our website. One workshop doesn’t give enough training to use our approach, brand, title, names, curriculum, etc. But please share the techniques and approach from Spinning Babies in this way.
Thank you for supporting Spinning Babies as we support you! We are so honored to be in this position in childbirth today – it is surely an optimal position! Your care for us in this position helps Spinning Babies stay optimal.
Enjoy this post? You also might like:
- Supporting Innate Knowledge
- Too Tired to Try Spinning Babies?
- Holding Space for Creative Coping
- More Chat on Sidelying Release