Women who can’t sleep, have start and stop contractions (labor doesn’t seem to start and continue), feel achy in the pelvis, hips or back, or it hurts when baby kicks may enjoy the results of the following techniques for pregnancy comfort.
Pregnancy Comfort Tips
- Walking briskly 2-5 kilometers (1-3 miles) a day
- Yoga hip-opening stretches
- Bridge pose (or sit in a chair and squeeze a ball between knees, and then thighs, during exhale)
- Forward-Leaning Inversion every day
- Sidelying Release once a day for a few days and then weekly
- Sleep on either side with a long pillow between knees and ankles, not just knees!
- 20 Pelvic Tilts and then add a slow, long wiggle side-to-side while doing another 10 Pelvic Tilts
- Drink 2.5 liters of good water, take one electrolyte drink a day but not the sugary sports (blue!) kind
- Salt-to-taste in food and eat lots of dark green veggies
- Pregnancy tea with a Red Raspberry Leaf base (not raspberry-flavored black tea, please!)
- Food-based iron (Shiff brand vegetarian iron supplement, Floradex with iron, millet, red veggies and Fava or pinto beans, and so on)
- Avoid constipation – drink 12 ounces of quite warm water first thing in the morning. Not tea; Water! Wait 10-20 minutes before tea or food.
- Enough sleep
After a week, if still uncomfortable, seek a bodyworker such as an osteopath, chiropractor, myofascial, Maya massage (not the same as pregnancy massage), and craniosacral therapy. We also have a more detailed list of daily activities you can do to bring comfort to your pregnancy for free here or you can watch our Daily Essentials video, which leads you through 13 activities.