If you’d like to organize a workshop, please review all information on hosting requirements on this page. After reviewing these considerations, you can fill out the inquiry form linked below. We’ll consider the request to determine if a Spinning Babies® Approved Trainer is available for your area.
Please allow up to 2 months for the request to be processed.
*Currently booking Spinning Babies® Workshops into 2021!*
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Spinning Babies® Workshops?
Spinning Babies® Workshop – 7 hrs or 13 hrs 1- or 2-day version offered. .7 ACNM or 1.3 ACNM Continuing Education Hours (CEUs) available. This is 7 or 13 contact hours. The objectives are the same. The longer class spends more time with hands-on skills and adds 2 or more skills. The 1-day is more concentrated in presentation. Both can be used as a pre-requisite for an advanced 4-day training if you meet the other per-requisites for one of those workshops. Each Spinning Babies® Approved Trainer sets their own workshop length, but the workshops must be at least the hours listed above. Organizers sometimes set up multiple workshops in their area. Registration is through the Spinning Babies® office. Exceptions, such as a hospital-based training, must be made with the office rather than the Approved Trainer.
Advanced Trainings by Spinning Babies®
After taking Spinning Babies® Workshop some participants may be interested in a 4-day workshop. We have two options for specific purposes that are only open to people with experience with the background that suites the purpose of the class. These are not introductory trainings in a career, but supplement the knowledge of experienced professionals. Finishing all steps allows for a listing on the Spinning Babies® website. We grow our paradigm and community with these trainings.
1. Parent Education: Childbirth Educators may apply for a Certified Parent Educator Training as a step to prepare for certification as a Parent Educator. Prenatal Yoga Teachers (with certificate) are eligible as childbirth educators for this application. If accepted, attendance as a Parent Educator Training becomes an opportunity. This course does not teach additional techniques for body balancing but does prepare childbirth educators to teach parents how to do our basic and favorite techniques. You will not learn or be granted to have bodywork sessions or “turn a breech baby” sessions in this course. You can teach a small group or 1-on-1 pregnant people/couples how to prepare for birth with Spinning Babies® basic introduction. You can advertise that you give a Spinning Babies® Parent Class after successful completion of the course. There is an annual fee for maintaining your position on our Certified Parent Educator listing (for cost see our description).
2. Fetal Positioning and pregnancy comfort through bodywork: Bodyworkers and providers with a scope of practice for hands-on care may then take the 4-day Aware Practitioner Workshop. This course does review our favorite techniques and adds several more that are within the knowledge base of a massage therapist. Midwives and nurses who wish to take this course should prepare with an anatomy book written for massage therapists. Prepare to be a local source for fetal positioning help. This course does not allow participants to teach Spinning Babies® to parents or providers. You can’t advertise a class in Spinning Babies® or teaching Spinning Babies®. You may show clients and their partners how to do most of the techniques you’ll learn on a one-on-one basis as you would show self care in any massage therapy session, when applicable. You can advertise that you offer a Spinning Babies® Aware Practitioner session after successful completion and application for the listing (for cost see our course description).
Midwifery Level Trainings by Spinning Babies®
Resolving Shoulder Dystocia with Spinning Babies® – 3 hrs Taught by Gail Tully, Rachel Shapiro or Nicole Morales. 3 MEAC CEUs for CPMS. Midwives/Apprentices, Physicians, and labor and delivery nurses only.
Breech Basics with Spinning Babies® – 3 hrs Taught by Gail Tully, Rachel Shapiro or Nicole Morales. 3 ACNM CEUs.
These two short classes are usually taught together in one day as a full day for midwives and other providers.
Commonly Asked Questions About Spinning Babies® Workshop
What is the difference between a 1-day Spinning Babies® Workshop and a 2-day Spinning Babies® Workshop?
In addition to the content presented in the 1-day Spinning Babies® Workshop, the 2-day Spinning Babies® Workshop adds:
- Slower pacing, more hands-on time
- Techniques to release the fascia and mobilize the sacrum
- A case study of non-progressing labor to identify when Spinning Babies® concepts and techniques might be useful
Will you have CEUs available?
Very often the answer is yes. ACNM has granted both our basic workshops continuing education .7 or 1.3 CEUs which is 7 or 13 contact hours. DONA recognizes the basic Spinning Babies® Workshop with advanced doula education certification. Ask the Trainer about CEUs for their workshop. Our three workshops listed here meet the requirements for CPMs seeking Bridge Certification.
Who takes a Spinning Babies® Workshop?
Birth care providers can take our Spinning Babies® Workshop (midwives, doctors, nurses) and paraprofessionals, doulas, childbirth educators, prenatal yoga teachers, and bodyworkers who work with pregnant people. Providers can take our midwifery level or provider level classes. A labor and delivery department may organize a Spinning Babies® Workshop specifically for their hospital staff by using the form at the top of this page. If you have a special request, please inquire by email at email@example.com.
Does taking your class mean that I will be certified?
How much does it cost?
We offer two types of arrangements: Hosting a Workshop: Organizers who are interested in hosting a workshop are responsible for the venue and refreshments. In return, you will get one free ticket. Some Approved Trainers offer another free ticket after a certain number of registered participants is met. Registration is taken through the Spinning Babies website or Eventbrite. Sponsoring a Workshop: Organizers who are interested in sponsoring a workshop are responsible for access to the venue and refreshments. The sponsor will take registration payments and will compensate Spinning Babies® with a percentage of the ticket sales and a flat fee. Each Spinning Babies® Approved Trainer sets their own ticket price. Once you are connected with a trainer, you will discuss ticket price, access to venue, food and beverage, A/V equipment, massage tables, pregnant models, printed materials, CEU documentation, merchandise sales, and other details. Organizers have options. First, contact the Spinning Babies® office for registration details.
An ideal spot is a large yoga studio or conference room with AV, mats, bolsters, and room for 4-5 massage tables and floor space.
Are there handouts?
Participants receive handouts, in paper form or as an electronic pdf sent through email per Approved Trainer’s preference. You are not given the slideshow. The workshop handouts are not the same as any of the products for sale. The Spinning Babies: Quick Reference and the video download Parent Class are the closest products to the workshop outline. The Quick Reference is a quick reminder of the techniques and when to use them. Without the workshop, using the Quick Reference will require a lot of time on the website. The Parent Class offers video instructions for parents on techniques also taught in the Spinning Babies® Workshop that are useful to the provider in birth and pregnancy situations. For advanced learning on the provider level, with details of complications in newborns due to fetal positioning, download our video of a class by Dr. Carol Phillips, DC, – Better Birth with Body Balancing.
What size class do you need?
Each Approved Trainer will set their minimum (typically 24-30). Class maximum is 36 participants. Two organizers and a scholarship recipient are included in the 36 people. The Approved Trainer and any assistant they may bring are not among the 36.
Is there a Scholarship available?
Yes. We offer a scholarship to a birth care provider, doula to doctor, who is a member of a community which has been shown to have a statistically worse birth outcome than the main population of the country in which we are offering the class. In the USA, this will be a Birth Worker of Color (In another country, this might also be a provider of birth care who is a member of a community statistically showing birth disparities, such as Romany or a resident of a restricted geographical area). Income or student status is not a factor in our scholarship. Since each scholarship is also a financial commitment from Spinning Babies® and our Approved Trainers, we have chosen to give our scholarship commitment to a member of a community with proven birth outcome disparities in order to do the most good in the world. Whether you are eligible or not eligible for a scholarship in this format, consider being an organizer if you have skills in organizing workshops.
What size room do you need?
Very large, open, carpeted room with AV. 20 x 25 feet is almost too small, 40 x 30 is better. 1000 square feet (93 square meters) or more is best. Room to move and walk around massage tables as well as seating.
Do I need to fill anything out?
What might an organizer do?
- Consider the size of the local birth community, venues, and other factors for ease of filling a workshop.
- Secure a venue, visit the venue, send pics and links, be sure of access 90 minutes before and an hour after the workshop. Arrive at and stay through these times and do set up and clean up tasks.
- Promote the workshop locally, in emails, social media, and local events in the months before this workshop. Each Approved Trainer will have a list of tasks to help you arrange your time and efforts. Arrange for a massage table for each 6 participants, 2 pillows for each, yoga mats, a peanut ball and a birth ball or two in medium sizes. Add more balls as desired.
- Seek out a pregnant model in the third trimester for the second part of the morning of the workshop that meets the needs of the workshop. A pregnant participant can volunteer for this presentation if more than 32 weeks pregnant. 36-42 weeks is ideal.
- Provide and arrange healthy refreshments. Consider grain and gluten-free choices as well as low or no sugar.
- Organizers arrange venue rental, AV, refreshments.
Thank you for helping to bring Spinning Babies® Workshop to your area!
Very good workshop… My mind is pretty much blown. I really want my co-workers to attend this workshop. – A. Young, former L and D nurse, California
Before Booking a Location
Please let the Approved Trainer know about the location and the venue before booking it. Ease to the airport can be a consideration to let them know. For instance a 4-hour drive from the airport may require 3 days to teach and may not be practical at all times. The room will be large, clean, carpeted (or with yoga mats, little rugs, etc.) private and with good A/V. A projector in the ceiling creates a far superior experience than a projector on the table for this workshop. A waiting room of a birth center would have to be big enough & private. Photos of your intended space (venue) are appreciated! Measurements may be required. Measure the room and include such helpful info in your email requesting a training.
Things to consider about location to make your workshop a success
- Is the location in or near a favorite hospital or a regular doula or midwife meeting place? (Consider a conference room if it is large, private, carpeted, clean, centrally located, and free. Are doulas and midwives meeting there already?)
- Is the actual site easy to access with off-street/free parking? Easy to travel to and from the airport in less than 2 hours?
- Can the hostess and Approved Trainer arrive at 7 am to set up, or the night before?
- Set up and clean up: 90 minutes for help before class /1 hr after class in the room. (ranging ~7 am to 7 pm.) This includes the organizer and their assistant.
Travel and Accommodations
- Organizers are typically responsible to arrange ground transportation.
- Private rooms in homes, hotel, or airbnb type arrangements are made by the organizer. Make the lodging onsite when possible or less than 30 minutes by car. Remember, you are arriving early! Talk to the Approved Trainer in making arrangements.
What to do next if you would like to host a workshop
Please fill out this form. Before filling out the form:
- Check local birth/parenting events to avoid conflicts with dates.
- Affirm space at the Venue on the dates you discuss with your trainer
- To assess interest, email your community. A potential host should get no less than 20 replies for Spinning Babies, 10 for RSD and Breech Basics before booking––remember, paid registrations are the only commitment taken. No spots are saved without payment. This number is to assess the market, The class is 36 including all seats, including organizers.