The Spinning Babies® Workshop
Description: Spinning Babies® asks a new question, “Where is baby?” Learn fresh solutions for pain in labor, long and/or posterior labors, or dystocia. Learn why we believe baby’s position reflects the space available. Suddenly the way we’ve been aiding progress turns on its head. Address pelvic muscles with muscle stretch, and myofascial techniques. It’s as simple as “making room for baby.” We soon realize fetal positioning is only a clue of what is needed and perhaps not the originating cause of a long and complicated labor. Bring birth back to ease. Enter the new paradigm of birth that is Spinning Babies.
Check your Confirmation Letter after registration to check times. Talk to each trainer personally about details.
Certification of Attendance is not a certification in Spinning Babies®.
Spinning Babies® Approved Trainers are listed on the website. There are no others. Thank you!
Spinning Babies® wants all parents to have access to information to have more comfort in pregnancy and ease in birth. When you have attended a Spinning Babies® Workshop we encourage you to integrate what you have learned into your work with parents. Asking what to charge to teach technique(s) from Spinning Babies implies a business relationship with Spinning Babies. If you have taken a Spinning Babies® Workshop you can use the things you have learned, but cannot use Spinning Babies arrangements and brand name in promoting your business services.
Spinning Babies® Approved Trainers, Spinning Babies® Certified Parent Educators and Spinning Babies® Aware Practitioner are licensed to use the Spinning Babies name and logo in their promotion, and they can also use the service marks “Three Sisters of Balance” and “Balance, Gravity and Movement”.
Do you want to teach Spinning Babies to parents? We are excited to be able to offer you this possibility through our new Spinning Babies® Parent Educator Training.
“The presentation is key to understanding the concepts. This cannot be understood by just reading the website.”
-Patty, CNM in Minnesota, right after the workshop… then, Patty emailed again, 6 days after the workshop:
“WOW! It worked.
“I was blessed with the perfect labor situation, prime stalled x 4 hours at 8cm, LOP. She slept through side-lying release, 3 contractions on each side (took 30 minutes).
She got out of bed, and was immediately in transition. Baby born 1 hour later!”
Had my first post Spinning Babies birth 12 hours after finishing the workshop! She breathed her baby down beautifully into the water! Lots of Spinning Babies and other preparations prior to her amazing VBAC. Such an incredible way to finish up the weekend.
-Anjela, Doula in Minnesota
Who takes a Spinning Babies® Workshop?
These workshops are for midwives, nurses, and birth workers. Yoga teachers, body workers and…
1-Day Spinning Babies® Workshop start times vary:
- 7 hours of class time with start times varying with workshop, 9 am is common in the US, 10 am is common in Europe.
- A hospital L&D staff may need a half day class. Resolving Labor Stalls for nurses and CNMs is sometimes available.
- Lunch may be one hour or 90 minutes, often beginning 3 hours after scheduled start time.
2-day Spinning Babies® Workshop start times:
- Day 1: 10 am to 6 pm with lunch from 1-2 (7 hours)
- Day 2: 9 – 4:30: lunch from 12:30-2 pm (6 hours)
Both Workshops have a similar curriculum, see differences after the similarities below.
Topics discussed include:
- A new premise for childbirth ease and labor progress for the experienced provider
- Exploration of the role of “Soft Tissues” in pregnancy, labor, and fetal position (muscles, ligaments, connective tissue)
- Common effects of posterior position on pregnancy and labor
- Fetal Positioning and labor progress with the 3 Principles of Balance, Gravity, and Movement
- Resolving the stalled labor through the Three Levels Of The Pelvis; pelvic mobility and soft tissues release.
- Practice activities for pregnancy comfort, spontaneous birth as nature intended, and cesarean avoidance.
- Identifying a stall in labor via labor pattern and being able to match the technique is a part of the workshop.
Day 2 Adds:
- Helping a breech baby turn head down with self-care and partner-assisted techniques for the midwife to recommend.
- Jiggle as a technique for fetal positioning readiness
- Case study from participant birth review proposal (submit at least 3 days before workshop)
Either workshop introduces you to the Spinning Babies premise. Reassess “what you know” and take birth care to the next level. Use your wisdom better. Techniques based on soft tissue anatomy like no other birth workshop. You will be able to identify and help pregnant and birthing women with a new approach to comfort, pain relief, fetal positioning, and labor progress.
Topics in the Workshop
- Changing the paradigm for labor progress
- Spinning Babies asks a new question
- Anatomy of Birth and Balance
Anatomy of Balance
Birth anatomy – The uterus is not a water balloon; ligaments and connective tissue role
Baby – head down is not enough; the role of flexion and the parasympathetics
Normal Birth with the Cardinal Movements through the 3 Levels of the Pelvis
OP Updates in Literature
- Daily Activities
- Maternal Positioning to maintain body balance rather than as the key to fetal positio
- Designs a pregnancy protocol (routine) for all pregnant women to increase or maintain body balance for comfort, fetal positioning, and/or birth ease
Pregnancy protocol (routine); 3 Sisters of Balance supports optimal fetal positioning and proactive preparation for all* birthing women
*Medical and Emotional Contraindications
Rebozo Sifting and the muscle spindles
Forward leaning inversion: using muscle-tendon stretch receptors to untwist/lengthen the utero-sacral ligament for comfort, dilation ease, and/or improved fetal position
Sidelying Release theory for softening the pelvic floor and hip muscles
- Three Stations for 3 Sisters of Balance in labor for helping rotation and descent
- Belly Mapping with a pregnant mother-model
- Mapping kicks and wiggles to match with a doll (to visualize fetus)
- Belly Mapping is mother led, not provider’s palpation
- Bonding or proactive childbirth preparation
- Doula Scope of Practice discuss
- Introduction to the 3 levels of the pelvis as a starting point for solving a stalled labor
- Where’s Baby? Re-examining station.
- Diameters as the basis of the following stalls and their solutions
- Comparing Labor Patterns with 5 common stalls in labor
- Compares the occipital posterior, or labor (“asymmetric labor”) to a progressing labor (“symmetrical labor”) by contraction pattern
- The symmetrical labor pattern associated with the anterior presentation or well fitting OP
- The asymmetrical labor pattern associated with the posterior presentation
When enough is enough; labor pattern indications for cesarean delivery due to cephalo-pelvic disproportion compared to indications that baby can rotate to fit the pelvis
- Need for rotation compared to slow but continuing progress
- Contracted inlet: Signs of CPD compared to need for rotation
Identifying Pelvic Level issues causing labor dystocia
Open the inlet Engagement and mis-engagement at the brim
Open the Midpelvis
“Opening” the outlet to finish the birth
Approved Trainer Jennifer Walker explains: “The course offers you training in the concepts of Spinning Babies®, which you can integrate into your work as doula, midwife or childbirth educator. You will get a certification of attendance. You will not be a certified Spinning Babies presenter or certified “Baby Spinner.” That level of knowledge is much too involved to learn in one workshop, even by repeating it. Your certification of attendance is proof of the contact hours for the workshop.”
Objectives for Spinning Babies
After this workshop, the learner will be able to (and is measurable will show):
- Replicates fetal movement of rotation and descent through the pelvic floor and in a gynecoid pelvis.
- Describes current literature on obstetrical issues with Occiput Posterior Presentation.
- Describe how uterosacral ligaments may influence fetal position.
- Design a pregnancy protocol (activity routine) for all pregnant women to…
- List 2 contraindications for inversion in pregnancy.
- Demonstrates the Sidelying Release to temporarily lengthen (soften) pelvic muscles.
- Differentiates a progressing from a non-progressing labor…
- Matches a maternal position to increase each diameter of the pelvis (inlet, mid, outlet).
- Demonstrates an anterior and a posterior pelvic tilt for opening pelvic inlet and outlet.
- Select the rotation techniques from a list of common comfort measures.
- Explains a true indication of CephaloPelvic Disproportion…
- Compares Spinning Babies’ “Balance before force” paradigm to the “3Ps”.
Spinning Babies® Workshop is awarded (7 hours) or .7 CEUs by the American College of Nurse Midwives and is DONA International (doula) approved for continuing education for their certified members. If you need RN CEUs, the sponsor is responsible for the application and fees associated.
Typically $175-200 per 1-day registration, depending on location.
All Birth Workers of Color who actively attend births and/or are scheduled for their NARM test, are apprenticing, etc. are eligible to apply for a scholarship at any of Gail Tully’s workshops and (note the trainer). Each trainer has their own policy and must be contacted. Please contact me about your plans to attend in order to be eligible. Access is likewise supported at the Spinning Babies 2016 World Confluence.
- Each Approved Trainer offers one or more scholarship spaces for birth workers of color to promote more access to birth education.
- A seat per workshop, as long as there is still space when a request comes in. So apply early, before the class seats are full. Overall space is limited and spots are not saved for a scholarship spot.
- If someone wants to come who isn’t attending births, they can email Gail or the Trainer doing the workshop of their interest and say what they do, and why they want the workshop information. Acceptance would be up to space available and how the person fits in our workshop purpose.
Other trainers may have other policies. Contact them individually.
Spinning Babies supports The Grand Challenge.
Download (or DVD) Spinning Babies; Parent Class for a similar outline to Spinning Babies® Workshop (which is designed for experienced Birth Keepers). Parent Class is like a childbirth education class II, or as my sister said, “It is what I would have wanted when I was pregnant – childbirth education for a birth nerd.”