Spinning Babies has 6 Approved Spinning Babies Trainers. At this time, I, myself, am not able to schedule new workshops. Please see the Spinning Babies Trainer page and individual listings of Approved Trainers to connect and begin planning a workshop for you.
When e-mailing, please name your city and state/region, venue and a rough idea of the size of your birth-related group or community. You’ll want 28-30 registrations to cover venue, refreshments, flights, ground transportation and speaker’s fee.
Here is what you would want to know if you were to host a workshop.
How long is your workshop?
Spinning Babies is often 7 hrs. Each Trainer sets her own workshop length.
Will you have CEU’s available?
Each Trainer arranges their own Continuing Education Units or Credit Hours. Very often the answer is yes. Ask the Trainer about CEUs for their workshop.
How much does it cost normally?
Email the Trainer for cost details, or see their registration form.
What do we need to supply for you?
See list below.
Will you be bringing your workbook for purchase or does it come with the course?
No, Spinning Babies does not include the workbook. It can be bought for $14.95 for 1-5 or at 40% off for 6 or more. For that many you may have to contact the store. Some classes will receive handouts that are sent through email as an electronic version.
What size class do you need?
If you pay a speakers fee, there is no minimum. Each Trainer sets their minimum, expect about 10 – 20 minimum and about 30-35 maximum.
What size room do you need?
Very large, open, carpeted with AV. See more below.
Do I need to fill anything out?
Your Trainer will send an info sheet and a contract to sponsors.
Does taking your class mean that I will be certified?
No. A Certification of Attendance is given (or sent later) but that is not a certification in Spinning Babies.
What are the Spinning Babies Workshops?
- Spinning Babies: Labor Progress through Fetal Positioning ( .7 ACNM CEUs or as individual Trainers set)
- Belly Mapping, Empowering a Mother to Identify Fetal Positioning (1-2.5 hours)
- Resolving Shoulder Dystocia ( by Gail, 3 hours, Midwives/Apprentices, Physicians, L&D nurses only)
- Breech Update (by Gail, 6 ACNM CEUs)
Often, Sponsors set up multiple workshops in their area. Workshops can be hosted by the one or multiple hosts.
Thank you for helping to bring Spinning Babies Workshops to your area!
Very good workshop.. My mind is pretty much blown. I really want my co-workers to attend this workshop. – A. Young, former L and D nurse, California
It easily takes an hour to set up each workshop with your help. Seating is in a semi-circle. We need room for practice all around the room!
- If an 8:30 start: Spinning Babies Workshop 8:30-5 pm with a 90-min. lunch break from 12-1:30. Pregnant woman comes from 10:00 to 12:00.
- If a 9 am start: lunch is from 12:30-2 pm, pregnant woman comes from 10:30 to 12:30.
- Adjustments in the schedule are made for Hospital sponsorship for L&D staff.
- Topics discussed include: Common effects of posterior position on pregnancy and labor are a sense of pain, sometimes a delay in getting into labor, length of labor, and higher cesarean rates. A new view of Fetal Positioning includes the 3 Principles of Balance, Gravity and Movement; levels of the pelvis, and working with the soft tissues for labor progress. Practice activities for pregnancy comfort, spontaneous birth as nature intended, and cesarean avoidance with labor progress.
- Sponsors and hostesses find a pregnant volunteer who fits the criteria to show the class pregnancy techniques. A pregnant registrant in her 3rd month is ideal, but a sponsor or her colleague’s client may come in for the last 2 hours of the morning session.
Resolving Shoulder Dystocia (3 hours, 3 MEAC CEUs): lecture, video clips, and practice with a doll and manikin, or doll and pelvic box unless traveling by air. From Gaskin to FlipFLOP, McRoberts and PAC Pull, find how to pick the right technique for each type of shoulder dystocia. Dress comfortably because we practice on the floor. Sorry, no doulas or parents at RSD.
Breech Basics: Signs of a safe breech vs. signs of dystocia, when is it too late for transport, upright breech benefits, resolving breech shoulder dystocia and head entrapment. Does “hands-off-the-breech” really mean us? When presented as a full-day class, the morning may combine with the public breech class. The afternoon for providers includes practice (low tech!) and in depth discussion of complications.
An evening workshop may follow a Spinning Babies Workshop at 6:30 pm. RSD AND Breech Basics can be booked for the following day (not previous) and in the same location of the Spinning Babies Workshop. Hosting can be by the same or another sponsor. BEST option? Spinning Babies first, and RSD and Breech on the next day! What you learn at Spinning Babies helps you understand Shoulder Dystocia better, what you learn at RSD helps you understand how to free the breech shoulder dystocia. One workshop builds on the next.
Belly Mapping (1.5 -2.5 hours): Includes Belly Painting and community building. How to Belly Map for parents and providers. This is a fun session for all!
Please contact Gail with any questions or suggestions for making your workshop experience fun, useful and bonding for your group or program.
Cost to bring the workshop(s)
There are two ways to have a workshop; as a sponsor or as a hostess. Each type will book the room, communicate frequently through email with Gail or the chosen Trainer and her own community to fill the class and answer participants’ questions, set up refreshments, seating, and help with AV equipment and easel/whiteboard.
Pre-registration with you as the Sponsor – Option A
The sponsor sets the registration fee. Sponsor has the right to offer scholarships.The sponsor keeps any profit over Gail’s fees, or pays the difference if their expenses are matched.
The sponsor is responsible to pay the honoraria for Gail’s workshops, airfare, and provide ground transportation to workshop(s) from the airport and lodging. Sponsor arranges and pays one night hotel stay for each workshop; or arranges a private room in a non-smoking home very near the workshop. An iron will be needed if you don’t want to see me in wrinkles! If Gail gives two workshops in one day, for instance, Spinning Babies until 5 pm, with Resolving Shoulder Dystocia in the evening from 6:30- 9:30 pm, then two nights of accommodations are necessary. Payment is made the day of the workshop by check, cash or PayPal.
Honoraria (Speaker’s fee) paid by the sponsor who takes registrations. Email Gail for specifics.
- One day of presentation(s): fee plus one night at a hotel.
- Day and Evening– RSD or Breech Update is offered that evening (same or separate sponsor) and in the same location: fee plus 2 nights hotel room.
- Two-day (2 full days, can be same workshop twice or 3 different workshops in the same room), the fee plus 2 nights of accommodations (hotel or home).
- Two days in two different locations? Fee is for one day workshop for each day. A pre- or Post-Spinning Babies Belly Mapping for the public (parents and others) can be added for a small fee per each participating pregnant woman/couple/care provider. Book is included in the fee (US only).
Pre-registration with Gail, with you as the Hostess – Option B
When Gail handles registrations, the hostess doesn’t pay an honorarium, but still fulfills the hosting duties such as arranging ground transportation, lodging and refreshments. Gail pays up to a set amount, so check with her before purchasing. If the class isn’t 2/3 full within 3-4 weeks prior Gail will cancel and refund the participants. Minimum pre-registration is 16-24, maximum class size varies, plan for 30.
A hostess receives a seat for the 1st 20 registrants and a second seat for 21-30 registrants. A hostess exchanges their own registration fee for the many tasks of setting up a workshop and has no financial responsibilities.
Whether a host or a sponsor, your job will be to find one local pregnant woman to come to the workshop in the morning 1 hour after start time until lunch break. Its wise to have a back-up model in case the first woman has her baby or doesn’t feel up to coming. Its better not to have two come. The time is about 90 minutes after start time until lunch.
Ask the pregnant woman who is in her last month of pregnancy (37-42 weeks is ideal) if she has an anterior placenta. It is tricky to do Belly Mapping with an anterior placenta and often it can not be done. One baby is also a requirement. She can bring her partner. Ask her to wear something comfortable to get up and down in and help show various resting positions and pregnancy exercises as well as Belly Mapping.
For all workshops, we need an easel and large pad of paper or white board and table. Except Belly Mapping, a large-screen TV with computer plug in, DVD player, or a projector that can be hooked-up to my MacBook Pro laptop.
Before Booking a Location
Please let me know about the location before booking it. I’ll want to know that the room is large, clean, carpeted, private and we have good A/V. A waiting room of a birth center would have to be big enough & private… photos appreciated!
Things to consider about location to make your workshop a success
- Is the location in or near a favorite hospital or a regular doula or midwife meeting place? (Consider a conference room if it is large, private, carpeted, clean, centrally located, and free. Are doulas and midwives meeting there already?)
- Is the actual site easy to access with off-street/free parking?
- Can the hostess and Gail arrive at 7 am to set up, or the night before?
- Set up and clean up: Gail needs 1 hr with help before class /1 hr after class in the room. ( ~7 am to 5:30 pm.)
Travel and Accommodations
Sponsors pay airfare and provide housing or pay hotel costs when the Trainer travels. It’s more affordable if a two-day event is booked.
Responsibilities of workshop organizer(s), hostess or sponsors
- Finding and securing a site with space for hands-on, and on-the-floor practice
- Arranging for rental and/or set-up of audio-visual equipment, as needed.
- Send Gail the signed and dated contract (Sponsors)
- Send Gail the completed contact and location information form
- Finding a volunteer pregnant woman (described on Task Timeline)
- Acquiring 2-4 massage tables (Sp B & Belly Mapping classes only)
- Setting out refreshments (coffee, teas, water, fruit, nuts, pretzels, eggs…)
- Sending an email w/ cost, location, contact info; Ask for a flyer if you like.
- Emailing that flyer out to individuals and groups via email on a schedule
- Sponsors who handle registration of participants will send Trainer a class list!
- Email out the confirmation letter that you get from the Approved Trainer
- Email electronic pdf. of the handouts to all registrants before class, if used.
- If you want printed handouts use the pdf to make one-sided, quality copies.
- Applying for additional CEUs (continuing education Units) if desired.
- Delegates two people (she can be one of them) to help sign-in participants
- Help with the selling of Spinning Babies products before and after the session.
- Finding and securing accommodations for your Trainer during her stay (see below)
- And anything else that will ensure that the workshop will run smoothly.
- Read the Spinning Babies Task Timeline.
Typical Responsibilities of Trainer
- A written and signed Memorandum of Agreement to sponsors (not hostesses) confirming the details of the “Responsibilities of Workshop Organizer(s)” and of the presenter, sent once the date is confirmed
- An agenda for the workshop, sent in advance of the workshop
- Materials related to the presentation necessary for additional continuing education credit applications when requested, sent in advance of the workshop
- Sending the flyer via email for email distribution and printing for you to post
- Guidelines prepared by Gail to help you with planning budgets and timetables
- An itinerary of travel arrangements.
- Send a pdf. of workshop handouts to sponsor; or, if hosted, the participants.
- Gail is available, if desired, for interviews with local media. Workshops may be audio recorded. Photos are allowed. Videotaping is not allowed.
What to do next if you would like to sponsor a workshop
Please send the chosen Trainer (or Gail after 2017) an email with all your contact information: Put your city name in the subject line, like this: Minneapolis Spinning Babies.
In the email include your full name and title, address and zip of all sponsor/hostess(e/s) and sponsoring organization(s), the desired date(s) and workshop title(s). Later, send the name and address of venue, including zip code and room number, and if applicable, the registration link/process.
Timeline for having a Spinning Babies Workshop
Here are the tasks for a successful Spinning Babies in your area:
- Begin publicity 4-6 months ahead, 2-4 mo.s is enough time for large cities.
- To assess interest, email your community. A potential host should hear 20 verbal confirmations for
- Spinning Babies, 10 for RSD before booking––
- Agree on a date. Check local birth/parenting events to avoid conflicts.
- Send Gail the contact and location form for immediate publicity needs.
- Get a flyer and post copies at venue, etc. Send flyer pdf to email lists.
- Make a Facebook event, and/or other social networks.
- Chat up the workshop on email list serves, forums, facebook, and twitter, now! = and again at
- 2 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 week, 3 days and 1 day out.
- Personally invite doulas, midwives, CEs, yoga teachers, nurses, bodyworkers, area doula trainers, and maternity centers.
- Email the flyer to these and others emailing you/your org. about any birth topics.
- Keep the Trainer updated on how registrations are coming in or visa versa.
- Help people register when they can’t or don’t want to register online.
- Email, or see if Gail emailed, participants the confirmation letter listing what they should bring.
- Gail will bring several Rebozos for use in class (not for sale, unfortunately).
- Get 2-4 massage tables. 1-2 participants may have a massage table or two.
- Invite a pregnant woman in her 38-42nd week who would like to participate in Belly Mapping and pregnancy activities from 10:15 to noon.
- Double check on the site arrangements within the month of the workshop!
- Ask for the handouts in pdf. form (Acrobat) from the Trainer and print 2-3 more than the number of registrants you have 2-3 days before the workshop.
- Day of workshop. Meet Trainer at the location at 7 am. You’ll set up signs, tables, chairs, sign in sheet, refreshments. Trainer will set up her props; both on AV, easel.
- Greet participants and help with sign in, name tags. Take payments, as needed.
- Help after the session with book sales, clean-up and collecting evaluations.
- Easy driving access to a major city and safe, off-street parking!
- Seating in a semi-circle facing a large, carpeted, open area. See photos.
- A table/pen at the entrance to sign in, fill out a name tag, get handouts.
- A table for visual aids.
- A table to display and sell books.
- A TV/DVD player and monitor and/or Projector and white wall or screen. Check with AV person to see that our cables match!
- Easel for a giant paper pad (vital) and that pad of paper.
- A table for your coffee (mornings), tea, and water and simple refreshments.