Spinning Babies is a project of Gail Tully’s. Gail is a midwife in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
Over 20 years with a small homebirth practice and organizing active community doula program development in hospitals and non-profits in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Gail is now devoted to developing Spinning Babies and her other areas such as Belly Mapping and ResolvingShoulderDystocia.com
Gail became a CPM in 2000 and still enjoys being called in to stalled labors or breech births.
Gail’s related published works include:
- Spinning Babies.com (2002 to the present)
- “First Twin: Breech,” Midwifery Today, Issue Number 106 (Summer 2013), Breech Birth Issue
- “Identifying and Resolving Obstructed Breech Birth: When to Touch and When to Be Hands-Free,” Midwifery Today, Issue Number 106 (Summer 2013), Breech Birth Issue
- “Arm Behind the Back: A shoulder dystocia complication,” Midwifery Today, Autumn 2012 Issue 103. P18-19, 69. (2012)
- “FlipFLOP: Four Steps to Remember,” Midwifery Today, Autumn 2012 Issue 103. p. 9-11. (2012)
- “Opening the Pelvic Brim with the Trochanter Roll,” Midwifery Today, Issue 96 (Spring 2011)
- Belly Mapping, Midwifery Today, Issue 96. (Winter 2010/2011)
- Resolving Shoulder Dystocia DVD, Maternity House Publishing (2010);
- Belly Mapping Workbook, Maternity House Publishing (2009);
- Belly Mapping How Kicks and Wiggles Reveal Your Baby’s Position. International Doula Vol. 12. Issue 4 (Fall 2004);
- “Shoulder Dystocia; The basics” Midwifery Today (Summer 2003).
- “Daily Essentials: Activities for Pregnancy Comfort and Easier Birth” DVD, Maternity House Publishing (2014)
- “Spinning Babies Parent Class” DVD, Maternity House Publishing (2014)
Her unpublished paper, Perspectives in Breech Birth (1994) helped to preserve breech options in Minnesota Traditional Midwifery law (1999).
Can I contact Gail?
Gail receives emails and facebook questions everyday. She hopes to answer each one, but that’s not always possible. Gail suggests that before contacting her you try these things:
- Whether you’re in pregnancy or in labor, start with Start!
- Read the blog
- Visit the Facebook page for SpinningBabies
- Check out the Techniques pages
- If you do email, keep your email short or consider a consultation call
Start with balance and the rest usually works itself out.
Gail sometimes offers small, online classes and meetings with parents to give attention to specific questions and situation. Look at the Events and Classes page to see if we have one scheduled. We keep the class small so that pregnant parents can ask their own questions. If you want to process your birth or get individualized help to prepare for your birth, schedule a consultation call for $60. USD for an hour talk. Email Gail to set a time around her travels, and type in the reason for your consultation. Pay with Paypal, the directions will be in the email.
If you email, please note: By emailing Gail, you are agreeing that the content of your email may be used publicly on her site. Names will not be posted unless you grant permission in your email. I am always looking for concise stories that tell how using maternal positioning and techniques resolved a stuck or long labor, or helped achieve an “easier” labor.
I do not answer questions posted on the Spinning Babies blog or on the Facebook page.
I do want to celebrate your journey and desire for an emotionally nurturing birth for you and your baby, of course!
Do share your stories that tell how using these techniques resolved helped achieve an “easier” labor. And if these techniques didn’t work, share which ones they were and how frequent you did them and at what gestational age. That’s helpful, too!
Email: gail (at) SpinningBabies (dot) com
Tel: (612) 817-3144